A guide to renting with Isos

Lots of people get in touch asking us how to get an Isos house – let us talk you through it.

But first, take a deep breath – it’s a bit complicated – we’ll try to explain it simply.

Who is eligible

Anyone can apply to live in our homes, and we have a variety of properties becoming available all the time. Our areas include Newcastle, Northumberland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Gateshead, Durham, Darlington, Sunderland, Stockton and Carlisle.

We don’t hold a waiting list for our homes. Instead you have to apply through a system called ‘Choice Based Letting’. Put simply, this means you can chose the area you want to live in.

Once you know what area you want to live in, you need to check what is available there. Our properties, along with those from other social landlords, are advertised by the local authority in that area:

What to do 

To be able to apply for properties you’ll need to register with the local authority in the area you wish to live. The local authority will ask you to fill in a form and if you meet their criteria they will add you to their list of applicants.

Once you’ve found a property you want to live in, you need to put in a ‘bid’. A ‘bid’ just means you tell the local authority which house you would like to move into and let them know what your needs are – you don’t have to pay any money.

Moving In / Moving Up - The Dunlop Family

Watch the first video in our Moving in/Moving up series. A project which shines a spotlight on our residents and what the home means to them.

What happens next

The local authority will make a shortlist of bidders for each property depending on what they call ‘eligibility criteria’. The local authorities set these criteria themselves, so they differ in each area – this means you could be higher on the list in one area than you are in another even though your needs are exactly the same.

Isos will then offer the property to the person top of the eligibility list. If the first person on the list doesn’t take the property, the next person will be offered it and so on until the property is allocated.

I’m homeless – can you help?

Isos currently don’t provide emergency accommodation for homeless people – if you are homeless you need to contact the council in your area.

This site uses cookies to help make it more useful and reliable. Our cookies page explains what they are, which ones we use, and how you can manage or remove them. read more